This is a private website and is not endorsed by or affiliated with any local, state or federal government agency or authority. ×

Rental Assistance - Part 2

See If You Qualify for A Charitable Grant
Many charitable organizations offer one-time grants to help low-income or financially strapped people pay their rent. The amount you qualify for will ultimately depend on your situation, but unlike loans, you don't need to pay back a grant.

Here are just some of the organizations you can try contacting. Links to their sites are at the end of this article:

The Salvation Army
Your local Salvation Army Corps Community Center may have funds to help you pay your rent. Bear in mind that when allocating their charitable grants, the Salvation Army often prioritizes apartment residents who are experiencing temporary crises (as opposed to long-standing issues). You will need to apply in person and show evidence that attests to your financial situation.

To find out more, use the zip code or city search box on The Salvation Army website.

United Way
United Way is a nonprofit organization that fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community. United Way can help people pay their rent when the necessary funds are available, and if they have no funds, they may be able to connect you to other local resources and options.

The United Way website has some great information for people who are struggling financially, including a section dedicated to helping people find safe, affordable housing.

Catholic Charities USA
Catholic Charities USA is a national nonprofit organization that works to prevent homelessness by providing financial assistance for mortgage, rent, or utility payments. They can help with payments if you find yourself under financial strain. In 2016 alone, Catholic Charities helped more than 550,000 people with housing services such as foreclosure counseling, mortgage assistance, and rental assistance.

To find your nearest Catholic Charities agency, use the location search on the Catholic Charities website.
If you are looking for access to safe, habitable, clean housing or need help with rent payments, might be able to help. They can help you find out about programs in your local area that provide emergency shelter, rental assistance, subsidized housing and housing vouchers.

Use the location search on the website to find your nearest contact.
Modest Needs is a private charity that provides help to people who have jobs but are still in need. The Modest Needs' hallmark grant is their Self-Sufficiency Grant, which gives financial assistance to those who are working and living just above the poverty line. Such individuals often find it difficult to get government assistance because of their employment status.

You can find information on how to apply for a Modest Needs' Self-Sufficiency Grant on the Modest Needs website.

Final Word
When you're up against a wall, and you already know you'll be struggling to make your payments, seek out help as soon as possible. Do not wait until you are in arrears before you look for help. There are many ways to get assistance when you are experiencing a short-term financial crisis, but you need to be prepared to put in the time and effort to secure them. If you know where to look for help paying your rent, you can ride out this temporary storm without losing the comfort of your home. As soon as you see trouble coming, look for solutions. Hesitation is not your friend!

Resource links
The Salvation Army
United Way Affordable Housing Programs
Catholic Charities website
Modest Needs